Hannah Claire Shi Lin

Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 4: Gotcha Day!!!

At around 9:30 this morning, we got Shi Lin!!!  I began to get nervous and emotional, already holding back tears as we entered the civil affairs office.  When we walked into the office where she was, oh my goodness, I couldn't believe I was actually seeing her in the flesh!  I went in there to her and knelt down and said "nihao," as she just stared us silently with a confused look on her face.   Our guide told her who we were and when I pulled out the framed photo of us, she seemed to understand we were the ones in the photo.   When Miles gave her the Bitty Baby doll, she took it immediately and her face just lit up!  She clung to it the rest of the time we were out.  It took several minutes for us to fill out some paperwork, and Miles started acting silly for her while she cracked up.  It was exactly as I had imagined it would be between the two of them.

We had to go to a couple of other places, including one where we got Shi Lin's passport photo taken, and we also got one taken with her, Chip and I for another document.   She was so quiet in the van as I held her so close next to me.

Back at the hotel, Shi Lin immediately noticed Miles's Leapster and reached for it, so I pulled out hers, and she loves it!  She sat on the bed and played games with her ge ge (big brother), and later ate Whales crackers and drank water from her Hello Kitty water bottle.  She never cried or seemed like she didn't want to be there with us.  In fact, a few minutes ago, she came up to me while I was typing and said "ma ma."  My heart melted and I pulled her onto my lap.  And she keeps coming back from time to time to say ma ma or to ask me to do something , like put her hair in ponytails.  So needless to say, this post is taking a long time to type, but that's fine with me.  Shi Lin needs all the time she can get with us, and we need all we can get with her.

Shi Lin is just what I expected and more:  happy, laughs a lot, and has an adorable silly side.  Not to mention she's even more beautiful in real life than in the photos we had of her before we got to China.  She has taken to all of us so quickly and easily, always asking me "bao bao" (pick me up), climbing onto our laps, and telling me when she needs to go to the potty.  She already fits in so well with us.  All of this in just a few short hours.  I know with absolute certainty that this is the little girl God has led us to.  We will go and sign the paperwork tomorrow that will make Shi Lin legally ours in the eyes of the Chinese government.  I'm looking forward to making it official!


14 comments:

mom2three said...

She is gorgeous!! It seems her foster paretns have prepared her well for such an incredible emotional day. What a blessing!! So glad she is in your arms and Miles is making her laugh! I mean who could help but smile at him..he is such a cutie too ;)

Nicole said...

She is beautiful!! 1gd that she has done so well! She was so lucky to have a foster mom that loved and prepared her for this day.
Enjoy your time together! I love that Miles and Hannah are bonding. That is so wonderful to have him with you to help her with her transition.
Congrats on your wonderful gotcha day!
Nicole

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Hannah Claire is just beautiful! You have been very blessed (and so has she) that she's been with a loving foster family that seems to have prepared her well for this day. And it's so wonderful that she and Miles are hitting it off so well! Have fun with that little girl!

Hugs and Blessings,
Tammy

Laurie said...

so thrilled, so overjoyed, so happy for you all! Wow, what a miracle. :))))) sending hugs and love to you all,

Laurie Griffin

Unknown said...

Beautiful!! I love the first family photo and I see that the hat fits nicely. Can't wait to meet her.

Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Angela..it is surreal to see her with you!!! I feel so very emotional right now. I couldn't be happier for y'all! I read the post out loud while the kids and Paul listened. Everyone is so happy! It does my heart good to know that she feels so comfortable with y'all already. So sweet! Know what? I dreamed about her last night! I dreamed I was with her at your house, I guess maybe watching her for a few minutes while you ran an errand, and I asked her if she wanted something to drink. I made a motion with my hand to show her what I was asking her. She nodded yes and I got her some ice water. It seemed so real! I can't wait to really be with her and offer her something to drink! =0) I love y'all and can't wait to read more and see more pics!
Marina wanted to say something: "I felt so happy when I saw that picture of y'all with her! I think she's gonna be the best cousin ever! :0)

Stephanie said...

Oh, I am so moved, so happy and so excited! I continute to pray for you all.

Jeanette said...

Congratulations!!!!! She is so beautiful!!! Sounds like you are off to a great start! Thanks for sharing your journey with us :)

Amanda Deardorff said...

I am overjoyed to see you with the new addition to your (and our) family! I have been praying so hard that her transition would be as comfortable as possible. We are continuing to pray for all of you. Can't wait to see her sweet face in person sometime in the next few months! Love you!

dkh721 said...

She is SO CUTE!! I'm so excited for you guys and I'm glad that things are going well. Take lots of pix of China while you are there - Hannah will appreciate those in her scrapbook someday.

Love,
Dona

Strayhorn12 said...

Congrats!!! I am so happy for y'all! She is precious! Have safe travels back with your little girl! Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories! Y'all are so blessed!

mom2three said...

you are killing me!!! NEED updates!!

~Branda

Bruce Rishel said...

Yay! I am so happy and proud for you all. What a long wonderful journey to start. I cannot wait to meet her. Miles will keep her laughing! He is such a sweet boy. We missed him playing at our house yesterday. Thinking of you and your family. Prayers be with you!

Bruce Rishel said...

Oh this is Melissa not Bruce R that just published that....I am on my hubby's computer. I miss you all!