Hannah Claire Shi Lin

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why We Love Our Children

A thought came to me recently, something that I never thought about before being in the adoption process. The thought I had is really a question: why do we love our children? I wondered this because I've heard people say "I couldn't love an adopted child as much as my biological child," or " I couldn't love someone else's child." These ideas really made me wonder, what is it that actually makes us love our children? It can't just be that they are our flesh and blood; there are too many cases of abuse and neglect in the world for that to be the answer. And being in this adoption process, though I've never met my daughter, I know I already love her dearly, every bit as much as I love my birth son. How is this possible? I wondered. Then the obvious occurred to me. It's the fact that God gives us our children, in whatever way He chooses, that we have that love for a child, whether they are born to us biologically, or born to us in our hearts. "Biological" or "birth" really means little in this time-based, earthly world, when it comes to loving a child. One day this will all pass away, and what will be left is the essence of who we are, our spirit. When God joins spirits in this life, regardless of the method of them being joined, it's a powerful connection that transcends flesh and blood. It is the love of God that He personally puts into our hearts to love our child, and to Him it doesn't matter if that child is blood-related to us or not. That is why we love our children, period.

4 comments:

Amanda Deardorff said...

This entry brought tears to my eyes. We are the adopted children of God. Does He love us less because we are not His begotten sons and daughters? Absolutely not. We are JOINT heirs! Adoption is not just a great thing on this earth for children and parents to be brought together but it is also a Biblical principle! I love you so much!

Angela Griffin said...

Amanda, I SOOOO agree! Adoption IS such a Biblical principle! It amazes me that some people, even so-called Christians, react negatively to it.

I was tearing up writing this post. Thank you for your sweet comment!

mom2three said...

I loved this Amanda..so so true! Thanks for putting into words so well.

Tylers.Net said...

I love this post and it still brings tears to my eyes just thinking about the day I held our boys in my arms the first time...the first two being adopted and the last biological. The love for each of them is no different and no more special than the other. It's the love God gives a Daddy/Mommy for their child regardless of where they came from. It has helped me and them understand so much more how we are adopted children of God, like Amanda said. Nathan loves talking to Miles about his sister and we are excited for your family to finally hold little Hannah in your arms. What a wonderful God we have! Christi Tyler (Nathan's mom from Sonlight)