Hannah Claire Shi Lin

Monday, March 8, 2010

Estimated Travel Date and Creative Therapy

We found out recently that our estimated travel date is April 23! We were filling out our Visa applications, and were told to put this date down as the estimated date. It's later than we had hoped, but is still so close, I'm not complaining!

A blogger friend of mine has posted about retail therapy helping her through the wait for her daughter, and I so agree! That helps, and something else that works for me is, well, "creative therapy," I guess is what I'll call it. What I mean is I'm obsessed right now with making my own clothes for Hannah. I like styles that are a little different than what you can usually find in the stores, and even when I find them online, they are so expensive. And I like the fact that no one else will have the exact same outfit as Hannah. Below is the first outfit I did. I'm now working on a dress, and ordered two absolutely adorable patterns from Portabello Pixie. I'll be working on a dress from one of those patterns as soon as I finish the current dress. Portabello Pixie patterns are designed by Sandi Henderson, who also designs fabrics. If you haven't seen her work, stop by her website and blog. I fell in love with them immediately when I saw them! 

Here is the first outfit for Hannah I completed: 

A detail of one of the ruffled pockets:

  I also made a matching hair bow (I'm a little obsessed with hairbows right now too!

In addition to sewing, my sister got me interested in crocheting again, so I'm working on a practice hat right now.  Once I'm done with that, I'll go get some new yarn and do a hat that will coordinate with one of Hannah's new outfits.  I'll post some pictures of the finished projects soon. 

I just can't wait to get Hannah into all these adorable outfits!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Angela,
Yeah for April travel!!!!! How exciting!
Okay I sew and bought a ton of new patterns and fabric but have not taken the time to get going!I love the p.pixie patterns! I love the outfit you made for Hannah! Was that a pattern? I have seen the ties on those tops and have not found a pattern for that yet! So cute!!!
Keep me posted on your package!
You are almost there!!!!
Nicole

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Angela,

That outfit is adorable! Sewing is one talent I didn't get so I really admire folks that can! And little girls' clothes are so fun!

I wanted to tell you about a journal that you might like to read since your little girl is 4. I recently "met" this lady when she found my journal. Go to Journey to Me to Adoption Stories and then search for Journey to Gabbie. They adopted a 5 year old and she a wonderful journal that tells their story from gotcha day until I think more than a year later! Their Gabbie is so sweet!

And congratulations on the April travel! We're still hoping at least for June!

Blessings to your family! :)
Tammy

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Okay, I got in a hurry. That was supposed to say...go to Journey to Me. Then on the left side, click on Adoption Stories. Then it will take you to a search engine. Type in Journey to Gabbie. There you will find her wonderful journal.

Tammy

Angela Griffin said...

Nicole, it I did use a pattern, but this was before I knew about the Portabello Pixie patterns. I was inspired by the clothing at matildajane.com, and loved the ties. The pattern I had used buttons to fasten the straps, so I just altered it a little to make ties instead.

Angela Griffin said...

Thank you for sharing that blog with me, Tammy! I did go and read some of it, up to November of 2008, and can't wait to read the rest. Seeing other families' stories who adopted older children is so encouraging; thank you for thinking of me:)