Hannah Claire Shi Lin

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Our Darling Daughter

I thought that we had to wait until our LSC was signed and back in China before we could post pictures of Shi Lin (Hannah's Chinese name), but I found out we can post them now! I've been waiting since August to do this!

This is the first photo I saw of Shi Lin when I got the informational documents on her:


In the next to photos, she was about 18 months:

This photo shows a close-up of her ear. She has what is called "microtia," which is an ear deformity. I struggled over whether to post this one, because I don't want people thinking of her only as a child with a deformity, because she is much more than that. Then I realized I don't want people to be uncomfortable around her, so I want everyone to see her ear, get that part out of the way, and then when they see her in person, her ear won't really be an issue, and they can concentrate on getting to know the amazing little person I know she is.
Needless to say, I think Shi Lin is the most beautiful little girl I've ever laid eyes on, and can't wait to hold her in my arms. From what we read about her, she is quiet and shy (like her Mommy) and loves to be held. Aside from the information we have about her, I have strong feelings that come from God, I believe, that she has a sweet spirit, that she will fit in so well with our family and that things will go pretty smoothly for us.
We are told that we can now send Shi Lin care packages! I can't wait to do this! We can send photos of us that are labeled with who we are, so she can start to get familiar with us. In the care package we can also include gifts. I'm so glad she is old enough to understand the idea that she has a family now and see pictures of us, and know we are her family.
I already have four large plastic storage boxes full of clothes for Shi Lin, ranging from sizes 3 to 5, so something has to fit her! I recently bought a couple of nightgowns for her which I will probably bring with me to China. Now I've got to get socks and some other miscellaneous things. I'll probably bring a couple of outfits, but not really knowing her true size, we'll buy a few outfits for her while we're in China, when we have a better idea of what will fit her. I can't wait to see her in cute little girl's clothes!
We ask for continued prayer for Shi Lin, for her safety and care until we can go and get her within the next 2 or 3 months.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

yay! I love her lips! They are so full! Just think your wait now is so short compared to mine. Lucky!

Amanda Deardorff said...

So precious! She has a such a happy smile!

Lora said...

What a beautiful daughter. I also have a daughter from China with atresia. Just FYI - having atresia on the left ear is a good sign. That means her right ear is the better ear, and the sound from her right ear will be processed on the left side of her brain - where language is processed. There is research that shows that right-sided atresia can cause more difficulties. From an SLP who has played the anxious waiting game you're playing now. Good luck. Here's to travel soon!

Angela Griffin said...

Lora, thank you so much for leaving a comment! I can't tell you how encouraging it is to meet other people who are in a similar situation as me and my family. I hope you don't mind, I've started a blog list on my blog, and I've added yours. I hope others will find encouragement from reading our blogs.

Thank you again, and I would love to keep in touch for support in the future!

Angela

parenting noobs said...

So amazing. I'm happy for you and for your daughter. Adoption is such a wonderful thing! Congratulations!!!